Cost is one of the primary concerns in managing complex litigation. Companies can find themselves hit with hundreds or thousands of pending cases, turning their world upside down, as they struggle to keep up with the influx of data, documents and court deadlines. Counsel and case teams burn the midnight oil scouring through documents, building their case. These teams are inundated with documents and concerns over court deadlines when they should be focused on strategy. If you find yourself losing sleep, waking up in a cold sweat in anticipation of the day ahead or a task you fear you won’t have time to complete, it is time to do things differently. It is time to end the chaos.
The only way to successfully manage complex litigation and ensure accurate data is at counsel’s fingertips is to have a Litigation Management system. This system will help help drive the process, manage the workflows and do things smarter, faster, better. At TCDI, we understand the importance of configuring and setting up a system that works with and for each specific litigation management project. Taking an innovative approach to the management of data, documents, and workflows throughout the entire litigation lifecycle, will guarantee smarter, faster and better results. Creative process engineering and innovation ensures increased efficiencies through the automation of tasks and workflows. Your Litigation Management System solution should empower cross-functional litigation teams to streamline communication, eliminate redundant work product, reduce costs and optimize case strategies.
Where do you begin when implementing a Litigation Management System?
At the center of every customized solution that we design are four key elements, which are critical to the success of each project:
Understanding, designing and implementing processes, and services that address these four areas are important to the effectiveness of your Litigation Management system.
We start by white-boarding or listing out all of the pieces of data. Next, we determine;
- Where does the data live?
- How do you want to use it?
- What should be measured?
- What needs to be reportable or visually represented?
Next, we list out the processes you currently undergo to complete tasks or actionable items.
- Document the specific manual steps you complete
- Determine who performs those tasks?
- What tools do you currently use?
- Are any existing workflows or non-existing workflows needed and typical?
- What are the desired timelines for each task and workflow?
Once you have that information identified, the fun part begins! Now, you can define, outline, organize, customize and build automated workflows and processes., so you can accomplish the tasks that are repeatable, measurable and predictable.
12 recommendations for building a customized system
Here is an list of what we recommend building into your customized Litigation Management system:
- Built-in automated workflows for repeatable tasks
- Onyx processing software that runs de-duplication and makes documents available within minutes of submission (natives, images, full text).
- Near-duplication detection
- Analytics and Data Analysis tools and processes
- Scheduling deadlines based on jurisdiction, calculating ages, BMI, etc using automatic calculations.
- Smart templates that guide reviewers and coders through the coding process and auto-populate based on rules.
- Utilize MSMR (Military Spouse Managed Review) Program for Review / Coding for consistent, standardized and accurate bibliographic coding that cannot be automated
- Production Tool wizard with default templates to meet differing production requirements
- Highly Scalable with auto-grow capacity for storage and processing environments
- Automated/Scheduled Reporting, Custom Reporting and Dashboards
- Automated user authorization workflow with a built-in client approver step and Support setup step.
- Collaboration Workspace
- More accurate consistent data at lower cost
- Less time spent on day-to-day tasks
- Less time spent on broad population document text searches trying to find content or comparable case / motion decisions
- Information that is fed to you via visual analytics / reports/ dashboards rather than you having to complete this type of analysis yourself
- Deadlines that are calculated for you and delivered to you on a desired schedule to ensure you don’t miss key deadlines
- Reduced redundancy and duplicative efforts
- More flexibility
- Scalable and customizable tools to meet changing litigation requirements
- Capitalize on emerging technologies
- More time to work on case strategy
- Holistic approach to strategy, services and technology to support your litigation management requirements and goals
- Overall litigation management cost-reduction and cost control
- Ensured efficiency
- Auditable workflows and data changes
- Consistency in planning, communications, execution, maintenance and completion of a case
- Consistency by which documents and data are collected, loaded, reviewed, coded, organized and maintained
- Less chaos, less stress, more trust in your litigation management system = more glorious restful sleep!